Today was the big day!
I called the hospital this morning at 6:45am. They told me that they would call back by 8 and if they hadn’t, I was to call them back. Darrin left for his bishopric meetings at 7:15, and I told him to keep his cell phone handy.
At 8:00 I called the hospital back. The charge nurse said she’d just talked to my doctor who was now on call, and she gave me permission to come to in. Because they only had staff for the patients they already had, I could only come in if I could bring my nurse Jayme. Who knew that knowing and being able to bring your own nurse to the hospital could have such perks!
So we were given the green light to come in!! YES! FINALLY! I texted Darrin, who was now sitting on the stand in sacrament meeting and told him to head home! Apparently the whole congregation was giddy as he was excused by the counselor conducting to go be with his wife at the hospital.
He came home, and we took the kids over to Darrin’s brother’s house. We made it to the hospital around 10am and were greeted by our nurse Jayme.
Around 11:30 my doctor came in to break my water. I was about 3.5 cm.
My contractions got more regular and stronger.
I got hungry and ate some chicken broth and strawberry jello. Darrin and played Skip-o for a little while until my contractions got too intense to play.
About 2pm, I decided I’d had enough and asked for my epidural. It was in place by 2:30.
My doctor came in a checked me shortly after, and I was 4.5 cm. After that I took a nap for about an hour and chatted with Jayme.
At 4:45pm the doctor checked me again and said I was a full 10cm!! The baby was little high still so she wanted me to labor down for about an hour. I couldn’t believe I’d gone from a 4.5 to a 10 in about 2 hours!
At 5:45 the doctor came in I started pushing. I pushed for about 4 pushes and at 6:01pm Ella Joyce Hancock was born! She was 8 pounds 4 oz. 19 3/4 inches long.
Later that night Julie brought the boys up to the hospital to see baby Ella. Josh was the most excited and wanted to hold her. Andrew and Luke weren’t ready to hold her yet. They preferred to watch from a distance.
We are sure happy and relieved that Ella made it safely into our arms. It’s been a long wait, but undoubtedly worth it!
5 comments:
She is so beautiful! I love the picture of her on your chest with you looking up at the camera. How precious! I'm so glad that she is here and that it all went so well!
Such great Pictures!! I am so glad she is here. And such a doll too! Congratulations again and hopefully I'll get a longer turn to hold her soon :)
She is so adorable Kim! Glad everything went well.
nyitte
Congratulations!!! Ella is beautiful. :-) I'm glad everything went smoothly at the hospital.
she is SO adorable. I just want to kiss those cheeks! Way to go!
Post a Comment